This page has moved to a new address.

How To: Cheat's Pesto

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: How To: Cheat's Pesto

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Friday 11 February 2011

How To: Cheat's Pesto

I rarely write food related posts, probably because I don't really consider myself a great cook, and so many others do such a great job at it, I don't think I have much more to offer.

But today I thought I'd share my Cheat's Pesto with you because not only is it colourful and easy to make, it's delicious!

I have an abundance of basil growing in my herb garden and what better way to use it up than Pesto. This is the second time I've made it and because I don't use exact measurements, it tastes slightly different every time. But hey, that's what home-made is about right?

So the cheat bit is using Macadamia nuts instead of Pine nuts, because pine nut are super expensive.

Here is the rough recipe:
1/4 cup macadamias ( you can also use cashews)
1/4 - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese ( the best quality you can afford)
a big bunch of basil leaves
1 small clove of garlic (if that's your thing)
nice olive oil, enough to moisten and extra for jar

Wizz it all up in a food processor, spoon it into a clean jar and cover with extra oil for storage.

I like mine cheesy but you can adjust your quantities to suit your taste.

The best thing about having a fresh jar of pesto in the fridge is that it adds instant lift to any boring old meal.

Toss it through warm spaghetti - a yummy classic
Stir through scrambled eggs - a green breakfast treat
Use as a spread in a sandwich
A yummy dip with veggie sticks
Mix with mayo as a delicious salad dressing
Serve with chicken
Toss through warm steamed spuds or mash in with mashed potatoes
I could go on forever, I like it on toast.

So if your basil is out of control, or you pick up a nice bunch at the market, give this a try, and you'll always have dinner a dinner option in the fridge...

Labels: ,