This page has moved to a new address.

How To: Easy Lamp Makeover & Spray Painting Tips

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: How To: Easy Lamp Makeover & Spray Painting Tips

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Wednesday 10 October 2012

How To: Easy Lamp Makeover & Spray Painting Tips

Easy Lamp Makover & Spray Painting tips  - My Poppet
Do you ever wonder how or why you have objects in your home that you've never liked? I have a set of bedside lamps that I have always hated. They were my parent's, bought in the early 80's when bronze stuff was really 'hot'. I never liked them then, yet I managed to inherit them as a teenager and they have followed me to several homes. I'm cripplingly thrifty you see, and because they still worked fine, throwing them out was not an option. I thought new lamp shades would help, but it didn't, so as a last resort, out came the spray paint!
Check out the before and after, and some spray painting tips below.


You will need:
Lamp base
Spray primer
Enamel spray paint
Masking tape and Plastic
Large box
Protective mask and clothing
How to:
Mask off all areas of lamp you don't want to spray. Make sure you wrap the cord fully so it's protected and out of the way.
Set up your box out side (and make sure you don't have washing on the line nearby!)
Following the tips below, spray your bases with primer first and when thoroughly dry, with your coloured enamel.
Be patient when spraying. Light coats from multiple angles will give a better result. Allow your paint to dry fully before removing tape.
All done!
What do you think of the result?
I think it's a vast improvement, although the colour is a little dark for the off white lampshades we have at the moment. I'm on the lookout for some shades that are suitable for recovering.
The spray fumes where quite over whelming, so I took several hours to apply all the coats, and I was really getting a headache by the end. The primer fumes seemed to be the worst.
As you can see from my picture below, I did manage to get some overspray! I thought I was masking off carefully, but obviously not careful enough!

Spray Painting Tips:

  • Preparation - Clean your object well before painting to remove dust and oil. The better the condition of the original surface, the better the final result will be.
  • Mask off all areas of your object that you don't want to paint. Be thorough, that paint mist gets everywhere. 
  • Work in a well ventilated area, outside is best. Paint fumes are nasty, so make sure you keep your children and pets well away. Protect yourself by wearing a mask, old clothes and gloves.
  • Protect from over spray by using a large box laid on it's side as a spray booth. It's also a good idea to cover nearby objects with plastic or paper.
  • Spray several thin light coats as opposed to one thick coat which can lead to drips. 
  • Follow instructions on can for recommended drying and re-coat times. 
  • Use a primer undercoat if possible, to achieve the best results on most surfaces.
  • Leave your project to dry in a well ventilated, dust free area.

Labels: , , , ,